Introduction to the ESV API
Want to use the text of the ESV on your website?
How does it work?
What are the conditions of use for the text?
- You may not sell, share, or publish your access key.
- We reserve the right to cancel your access to the service at any time for any reason.
- This service is available for use only by individuals and non-commercial organizations that use the service in ways consistent with the historic Christian understanding of doctrine and the Bible, as summarized in the following foundational doctrines. (See our statement of faith.)
- The Bible is the inspired, inerrant Word of God.
- Salvation is by grace alone, through faith alone, in Christ alone.
Can I cache the text locally?
Can I change the text?
What if I want to use the text of the ESV in an email devotional? Can I do that?
What interfaces are available?
What formats are available?
The ESV is available in plain text and HTML.
What is the standard copyright notice I need to include on my website?
What if I want to use the API in another way?
What do you mean by “non-commercial website” and “non-commercial purposes?”
This service is designed to be used for personal, church, and ministry organization use.
Although you can use this service, it's much easier simply to link to us.
What could I use the text for?
- A daily devotional.
- Display the passage that corresponds to this week’s sermon.
- Create your own Bible search engine for use on your own website.
What guarantees do you offer?
Can I terminate my access? Can you revoke it?
What will you use my email address for?
What is the API (Application Program Interface)?
For details on the API, please visit our API documentation overview.